- The Hermosa Beach Triathlon will rigorously follow all COVID-19 rules and guidelines in place at the time of the event. The health and safety of our athletes is our top priority.
- How long is the course?
- The Hermosa Beach Triathlon features a 1/4-mile ocean swim in the Pacific, 10-mile bike and 3-mile run along the shores of Hermosa Beach, California
- What is the minimum age to participate?
- The minimum age is 14 years old.
- What is the $15 USAT Fee?
- The Hermosa Beach Triathlon is a USA Triathlon Sanctioned event. The fee will be waived for all USAT members. If you are not a USAT member you will be required to purchase a 1-day USAT pass. For more information on USAT sanctioned events please visit the USA Triathlon site HERE.
- What are the award categories?
- We give out awards to the top five participants in each age group!
- What is the mountain bike division?
- The mountain bike division is for those people who are racing using a mountain bike instead of a road bike. The width of your tires must be 1.75 inches or larger. These tires can be smooth, knobby, or with tred.
- Do I need to wear a wetsuit?
- Wetsuits are not required, but most people choose to race in them. The water temperature is usually 67-70 degrees.
- Can I transfer my individual race entry to another person?
- No, individual registrations MAY NOT be transferred from one person to another. Relay teams may switch members and should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a link to make the change. Please note, each change or addition to a relay team will result in a $25 fee.
- Do you offer refunds?
- All entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable to other athletes
- Can I have my teammate pick up my race packet?
- No one can pick up your packet except you! This includes teams as well.
- Is there race day registration?
- We encourage you to register early as the Hermosa Beach Triathlon will likely sell out before race weekend. The race sold out in 2018 & 2019.
- Is there a relay team category?
- Racers can form teams of two or three to compete in the triathlon, with each athlete racing one event. When registering, choose the relay team option and complete the form with all information from all members of the relay team.
- What is the event schedule? (Subject to change depending on COVID-19 Rules & Regulations set forth at the time of the event)
- Saturday, August 13, 2022 12:00 pm Packet Pickup Opens at Triathlon Lab located at 1512 Aviation Blvd., Redondo Beach, CA 90278 (310) 374 – 9100; 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Triathlon Clinics at Triathlon Lab; 4:00 pm Early Packet Pickup Closes
- Sunday, August 14, 2022 5:15 am Packet Pickup Opens, Transition Area Opens, Body Marking Begins; 6:45 am Registration Closes / Packet Pickup ends; 6:45 am Mandatory Pre-race Meeting at the Main Stage, Transition Area Closes7:00 am Race Starts9:00 am Transition Area Re-Opens9:45 am Awards Ceremony
- What is the wave start schedule?
Color Wave # Start Time Division Red 1 7:00 Para – Female Para – Male Male 14-17 Male 18-24 Male 25-29 Purple 2 7:06 Male 30-34 Male 35-39 Royal Blue 3 7:12 Male 40-44 Thunderthighs Silver 4 7:18 Male 45-49 Male 50-54 Relay – Male Powder Blue 5 7:24 Relay – Mixed Clydesdale 200-224 Male 55-59 Neon Yellow 6 7:30 Female 14-17 Female 18-24 Female 25-29 Female 30-34 Neon Pink 7 7:36 Female 35-39 Female 40-44 Female 45-49 White 8 7:42 Relay – Female Female 50-54 Female 55-59 Female 60-64 Female 65-69 Female 70+ Mountain Bike Female Mountain Bike male Athena Neon Green 9 7:48 Male 60-64 Male 65-69 Male 70+ Clydesdale 225+
- What are the age divisions?
|Men and Women: 14-17, 18-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85+|
|Thunderthighs||Men’s Open Division – 185-199 lbs|
|Clydesdale||Men’s Open Division – 200-224 lbs and 225+ lbs|
|Athena||Women’s Open Division – 165+ lbs|
|Mountain Bike||Men and Women Division|
|Relays||Male, Female, Mixed and Physically Challenged
Note: Relay teams must check in together
|ParaTriathlete||Men and Women Division|
- Do you have to pay for parking?
- Yes, most parking down at Hermosa Beach Pier is garage parking or meter parking which will charge. You may be able to find non-permit street parking but for easier access garage parking or meter parking is your best bet!
- What should I bring with me on the day of the Tri?
- A wetsuit (if you plan on wearing one). Wetsuits are not required but most participants do choose to wear one
- A bright colored towel (this will make it easier for you to find your bike in the transition area)
- Cycling shoes (if you wear them)
- Water bottle (there will be water in the expo and as you cross the finish line as well)
- Running Shoes
- Change of clothes for after the race